Programming Languages used for software development may vary according to multiple factors. Some might pick the most secure one, some easiest or some pick the robust.
But still, which are the programming languages for software development? which languages do programmers rely on developing software in this age of heightened competition and elevated customer demand?
These are our picks
Python is a high-level programming language used for general-purpose programming. With a simple syntax, Python has automatic memory management and dynamic features that make it suitable to be used in a variety of applications in the software development companies such as gaming, web applications, language development, prototyping, etc. The testers use it, as debugging is quite easy in this language.
- Consist of third-party modules
- Object-oriented languages
- Portable across operating systems
- Contains user-friendly data structures
- Widely supported and has an active
Java is an object-oriented programming language that can be written on any device and can work even on a cross-platform basis. Often used to develop mobile applications, Java is also the basis of the Android operating system. The language is preferred by the testers owing to its ability to use even on cross-platforms.
- This language is platform-independent in both binary and source level
- User and design-friendly
- Known for its feature of security and called as the safest programming language which can disrupt corruption or errors
- Has the added feature of Stack allocation system which helps in data storing and easy restoring
- Java has the feature of automatic garbage collection and memory allocation
With numerous tools and libraries available along with the language, Ruby is simple to use the programming language that does not require one to learn programming vocabulary or commands. Quite popular on small websites, Ruby does not deliver the expected performance on large websites. With a full-stack framework, testing any program that has been developed using Ruby is easy.
- Fast, efficient & user-friendly
- Consist of easy & understandable syntax
- Has a large worldwide community with a lot of online tutorials and learning resources
- Ruby on Rails is known to be one of the best frameworks which help you build web apps quickly
One of the most difficult programming languages for software development, gaining an understanding and knowledge of C makes it simple to learn other languages such as C++. Since it is a machine-level language, a tester who has its knowledge does not find it difficult to test a program written in any other language as well.
- It is known to be the building block of many other languages seen today
- Consists of a lot a function that includes system-generated functions
- It is portable and can be set-up fast
- Has the capability to arrange the program in a clear, easy and logical way
The second oldest programming language, LISP is one of the most preferred language in artificial intelligence development due to its high level of flexibility and ability to complete a particular task as chosen. LISP is also one of the top programming languages for software testing as it allows for efficient coding due to compilers and fast prototyping capabilities.
- Can modify its own syntax for a specific program/programming style
- Most important advantage is its format od determining data is same as that of writing code, which makes lisp macros a natural part of the syntax
- Its homo-iconic
- Supports functional and imperative programs
One of the commonly used languages for software, hardware, and network testing, PERL helps in ensuring the best quality of a software product. Its file handling techniques and powerful file analyzing that consume the least execution time make it one of the most preferred languages over other programming languages.
- Most used programming languages for web apps
- Open-source software
- Can integrate with different database products via the platform
- Can handle HTML, XML, PDF formats
- With more than 500 modules available, it can be expanded and its flexible
- Supports OOP like Java and C++
MATLAB is one of the most preferred languages over other programming languages for software testing. This language allows the testing team to execute test algorithms without any sort of recompilation. Its desktop environment allows one to work interactively with the data, which, in turn, helps one to keep an easy track of files and variables and hence, simplifies the debugging process.
- Has a toolbox of formats and functional features
- Syntax of the program is easily understandable
- Data analysis is very easy as all the data is stored in the matrices
- Allows to test algorithms without any recompilation
- Has the ability to process both images and videos
- Helps users to keep track of data and variables
SQL is found to be an interactive language that is on the rising path among other programming languages. Tech giants like Amazon, Google, IBM, Oracle, Helix, Microsoft, etc. continue to utilize SQL in their systems. This is considered to be a standardized program that is used to perform relational functions and operations.
- Modify database tables and index structures
- Its high-speed functional ability can retrieve a large number of records from a database quickly
- Has well-defined standards
- Do not require the substantial writing of codes
- It’s an open-source language which is portable and easy to use
Learning is a valuable skill and an ongoing process. Therefore, it’s good to use and rely on these programming languages to verify the performance standards of the product.
But, as the technology advances, one must continue to learn and explore more in this domain so that it gets easier to simplify the process of testing, identifying the bugs and improving the product’s performance. And in the end, you won’t go wrong with these language options listed above, as they can serve as a great start for you.