We are looking for candidates who can fulfil the role of a Specialist Product Engineer.
OUTPUT | CORE TASKS
- Apply critical thinking, design thinking and problem-solving skills in an Agile team environment to solve technical problems (Front End, Back End OR Middleware) with high quality solutions
- Contribute to all phases of the development lifecycle
- Evaluate analysis, problem definition, business requirements, solution development and provide recommendations to enable the operational feasibility of solutions
- Quickly produce well-organised, optimised, and documented source code to deliver technical solutions
- Ensure designs and solutions support the technical organisation principles of self-service, repeatability, testability, scalability and resilience
- Apply general design patterns and paradigms to deliver technical solutions
- Support the development of CI / CD Pipelines (authoring and supporting CI/CD pipelines in Jenkins / similar tools and deploying to multi-site Kubernetes environments – supporting and managing your applications all the way to production)
- Use and configure modern observability techniques leveraging e.g. aggregated logging via ELK stack, metrics via Prometheus / Grafana / NewRElic and tracing using Zipkin/Jaeger
- Automate tasks through appropriate tools and scripting e.g. Jenkins, Docker, Ansible, Kubernetes
- Debug existing source code and polish feature sets
- Work with integrated teams and other Developers to improve and evolve technical products and services
- Align all application development and development process to Group Architecture and Infrastructure guidelines
- Provide input into project and program teams (when required) to plan and manage the development lifecycle e.g. releases, risk management, testing, integration etc.
- Conduct reviews, performance monitoring and ongoing optimization and maintenance on applications
- Stay ahead of the curve on emerging technologies and development practices and continuously evolve existing knowledge and skill in preparation for cross domain and other experiences e.g. Secure Side, Testing, Infrastructure solutions etc.
- Conduct peer reviews, testing, problem solving within and across the broader team
- Support the people change teams in the development of user material (Customer, Employee and 3rd Party Adoption)
- Identify technical risks and mitigate these (pre, during and post release)
- Update / design all application documentation aligned to the organisation technical standards and risk / governance frameworks
- Participate in incident management and DR activity – applying critical thinking, problem solving and technical expertise to get to the bottom of major incidents
- Relevant B-Degree in Computer Science preferred but not essential if minimum requirements of experience and practical application in the following is evident:
- SSL Security
- CI/CD etc.
- Working in an Agile environment
- Test-driven development and domain-driven design
- Open-source relational databases
- CI / CD tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, TFS, Azure Devops) and Artifact Management (preferably Nexus)
- Appropriate unit testing framework(s)
- Scripting languages like Bash and/or Python
- Cloud platforms e.g. Azure, AWS and Google Cloud Platform
- OAuth, Open Connect ID and SAML, preferably with an understanding of AD / LDAP / Kerberos
- Containerisation technologies like Docker and/or orchestrators like Kubernetes
- Solid understanding of Object-Oriented Design and ability to properly apply general design patterns and paradigms
- Solid understanding of messaging protocols and web services like SOAP and REST
- Application server containers: Tomcat, Jetty, JBoss, NodeJS, IIS, .Net Core etc.
- Ability to create and maintain sophisticated CI / CD pipelines
- Strong understanding of version control and related concepts and techniques, particularly Git
- Excellent debugging and problem-solving skills.
- Comfortable with stubbing tools like wiremock and/or hoverfly
- Excellent communication, analytical skills and decision-making ability in collaborative environments
- Team working
- Interpreting data
- Meeting timescales
- Taking action
- Producing output
- Checking things
- Following procedures
- Adopting practical approaches
- Only open to South African citizens
- If you have not had a response from us within seven days, please consider your application unsuccessful.